Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Diversity in India

India is truly diverse in nature! Its such a BIG country and has different languages, culture, customs, traditions through out! We have many modern and outgoing people and also, we have people who still exist in their own tiny world..

Its soo different!! It takes me a day to reach another city in India. In Netherlands, it takes me 20 minutes to reach another city!
And when I land in another city in India, even if they speak the same language, I need some time to grasp and understand it. Different accent!!

I think this diversity of India, has equipped all Indians with adaptability to live anywhere on world. Yes.. Indians are open to adjustments, open to accept or at least realize and understand that people are different .
Many people in European countries are even unaware of the existence of different kind of people with different habits. Even pure vegetarianism seems a new inexplicable concept for them. I was surprised when a lady told me, "I will order fish rice for you. You are a vegetarian? So what? you can remove the fish pieces and eat the rice!"
She said it as a fact! She did not want to make fun of me. She never understood the meaning of vegetarianism. :-)

Its because, they have all the wealth they need in their country, they never had to think about going out or making adjustments or putting effort to understand or please others, in order to live.

But, its an entirely different world for us. Whatever it is, we are able to manage it because, our nation has inculcated such an ability right from our childhood.. India is so diverse that, we can see how different people can be! We get a chance to see people of different kind in our own country, in our own city in fact!

Not to forget about the exceptions! I cannot deny the fact that there are people who are more open minded in those countries and there are people in India who do not want to accept anything other than what they like.

But I am sure, if you live in India, you can defintely learn to adjust and adapt to any environment. Proud to be an Indian, huh?

No comments: